Donnerstag, 12. September 2013

New York, I'll always come back to you

When you're really looking forward to something and waiting for it, seconds can feel like hours or even days. Once the moment has arrived, though, it's over in the blink of an eye. In my case said moment were the last two weeks. It's weird how your concept of time can change that easily.

Two weeks ago I sat on a plane, more excited than a child on Christmas morning to step on American soil after what feels like an eternity - it's been a year, but well - and see some very special people in my life. Within a year, that place has turned into home away from home, and no matter how long I'm away it always feels like I never left when I come back. 


I stepped out of the airport, into the hot and humid air, the noise, the chaos, and I felt like I was where I wanted to be. Wendy picked us, me and two friends, up. When she saw us, me and two friends, she jumped out of the car and ran towards me, threw herself at me and we hugged for a while in the middle of a busy street till we realized we might get run over if we don't move aside. Once we reached the house, Bob and the kids were waiting for us with a 'welcome back' sign. I was overwhelmed, happy and on the verge of tears. 

As I said, the two weeks went by in a jiffy, though, mostly due to the fact that I showed my friends around the island. We started off by spending two days in the city, looking at the major tourist attractions and walking till our feet bled. Metaphorically, of course. I took them shopping, to the boardy barn, to the beach etc. They also went to Boston for two days. All in all it was pretty busy. However, I still wanted to spend as much time as possible with my family, neighbors and friends there, hang out, catch up, you know. Some dear people to me even had a barbeque just for me. Again, I was overwhelmed by how people went out of their way for me.

The boys... I don't even know where to start. They grew so much in the last couple of months. I can't help but think of how tiny they were just a while back while I watched them. Jack used to ride his bicycle with training wheels back then, now he's racing his brother on their own little dirt bikes. They officially forbid me to call them baby boys anymore, although that's what they'll always be; my baby boys. Despite getting so much bigger, they haven't changed one bit. They're still the same knuckleheads they've always been. They fight a lot, make a mess, show off how tough they've gotten, but at the end of the day they come and want cuddles. ♥

Me: "Wen, can you drop us at the train station?"
Sean: "Hold on! Are you already leaving to go home?! *cue puppy face*"
Me: "No, we're going to the city. You're stuck with me for a couple more days."
Sean: "Ok, good!"

After what felt like no time at all, it was time to say goodbye. Too fast, too soon. I had an awful time leaving and cried my way through the day. I didn't want to let go of any of them, and neither did they. The whole way to the airport we kept texting "Love you! Miss you already." back and forth. That's all I could say because I didn't and still don't know how to put into words how grateful I am to have them in my life and how much I love them. It's not a goodbye, I know that. It's a "see you next summer", since I have been invited to a wedding of a very dear friend of mine which I'm definitely not going to miss, but it still hurts to know that I won't be seeing them for the next year to come.

Well, with that starts the the saving up for yet another flight across the globe. I'm counting the days.

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen